Thursday, February 27, 2014

College Athletes in the Digital Sports Age with Duke University Baseball Pitcher Remy Janco



Sports controversy has brewed this off-season around the Phillies decision to turn in two college baseball players for using an agent during negotiations with the team (first reported on Twitter by Baseball America’s Aaron Fitt).  The sought after advice likely led the players to return to college rather than signing with the team, resulting in a frustrated Phillies’s organization.  According to CBS Sports using an agent is common practice in dealing with MLB teams, however the Phillies’s report resulted in an indefinite NCAA suspension for Oregon State pitcher Ben Wetzler, that could be extremely damaging to his future.  With so much discussion surrounding policy vs. player development I was curious to know whether we are doing enough to protect and help our young athletes.  The digital landscape has paved the way to unlimited resources for an educated athlete to learn every aspect of his sport and seek out advice, but are young athletes prepared enough in their daily lives?  Can they effectively manage their future careers, wading thru the waters of personal branding, online reputation, skills improvement, and career decision-making, all while still maturing into adults?  Or are we setting them up for failure by relying on the Internet as their sole source of advice?  To help provide some insight into this I interviewed Duke University baseball pitcher Remy Janco.

 

Q.) With so many tools, videos, advice, and research available online, do you feel that high school college players are prepared enough to make serious life decisions like college vs. pros unaccompanied, or do they still rely heavily on the expertise of others in the business?
A.) "I think that as a college baseball player in today's age I have many more opportunities than those in my shoes in the past.  During my recruiting process, I used video to spread my name and create another avenue to reach college coaches other than just seeing them at showcases and tournaments. Video was and still is a large part of my development as a player. One particular video analysis tool I use is the RightViewPro application that is used by many college baseball programs to break down a player’s mechanics and work on making positive changes.  With these new tools, videos, and advice I am not only able to develop more as a player, but I was also able to make a very educated decision on where it was I wanted to go to college. From my perspective, I think that all the new tools are extremely helpful in the process, but it is still very valuable to have an agent or an individual by your side who has dealt with the process before and has your best interests in mind.  This is something a tool simply cannot provide no matter how effective it is."

Q.) How do you balance sharing your personal college life on social media sites with protecting your image as a collegiate ball player?  Does the University provide you with any education about online reputation management?
A.) "As a college athlete I am very active on social media. I have a Twitter and a Facebook account where I communicate my everyday life to my friends, family, and other followers. I really enjoy being active on social media, but it also is very important that I am smart about what I post. The athletic department at my school along with the baseball program follow me on Twitter to make sure that I am being responsible online, as well as doing a good job in representing myself and the university. The athletic department also has a very useful program that freshman athletes must take that educates them on social media and how to use it to promote their image responsibly. It’s aimed at making the transition into college easier and encourages us all to learn what it means to be a student athlete and a positive representative of our school."

Q.) Just for fun there’s a White House petition being led this week by Ozzie Smith to make baseball's opening day a national holiday.  Does he have your support?
A.) "I think that the petition led by Ozzie Smith is extremely interesting! While I would love to see opening day recognized as a national holiday, I think it will be a very difficult task. As America's national pastime, I think Ozzie has an argument for his petition, a national holiday is a very big deal and to have that passed would open the door for a lot of other sports to make the same argument. I'm very curious to see where that goes, but I’m definitely behind it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment